Lightning, one of nature’s most powerful elements can carry up to 1 billion volts of energy and can reach temperatures of 28,000°C. Even though a lightning discharge is of a noticeably short duration (typically 200 microseconds), it can cause massive destruction. The effects of a lighting stroke are immediately apparent – damage to plugged electrical devices, damage to the building, trees blown apart and personal injuries.
Earthing systems play a vital role in lightning and surge protection by safely dissipating the power surges to ground. At Electric Way, we advocate a complete approach to earthing safety to protect your building structure, electronic systems and personnel therein.
– A reliable earthing protection scheme encompasses both structural lightning and transient voltage protection. They play a vital role in channeling electrical energy to the ground in order to mitigate damages.
– The electrical bolts from lightning can trigger fires/ explosions and cause disruption around the building. Worse, they can cause equipment damage and personal injury. Earthing protection systems are designed to give high voltage a safe and low impedance path to earth.
– Instead of traveling through the building’s electrical wiring, cabling paths or water pipes, where it could create significant destruction, the electrical energy is routed to a less destructive path to ground.
– A surge protection system does not completely eliminate the damage, but it can certainly reduce it by safe routing, instead of giving it free reign on the building.
Moreover, the increasing use of electrical and electronics have necessitated the need for surge protection devices to safeguard them from voltage spikes. Heavy damages to important business systems will lead to downtime, heavy financial loss and cripple the functioning of the organizations.
The systems at risk are:
– Computers and servers
– Data communication networks
– CCTV equipment
– Uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs)
– Fire and burglar alarms
– Data acquisition equipment
– Telecom systems
– PABX telephone systems
– Electrical panels
– Pool and irrigation and equipment
Note: It is important that earthing systems are correctly designed and installed by specialist engineers to allow no area of vulnerability inside the building.
Electric Way – Leading providers of earthing protection systems
Our experienced electrical engineers specialize in the design, supply, installation, testing of surge protection systems. All our equipment has been tested and approved to IEC/BS EN 62305 and sourced directly from leading manufacturers around the world. We have previously installed earthing solutions at educational institutions, industrial premises, retail establishments, data centers and substations.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.